Pope Francis’ Near-Death Crisis: Doctor Reveals Harrowing Decision to "Let Him Go or Push Forward"

Pope Francis's Hospitalization: A Near-Death Experience and a Miraculous Recovery


ROME — Pope Francis’ recent five-week hospitalization was far more perilous than previously known, with his medical team at one point facing an agonizing choice: to continue aggressive treatment at great risk or to let nature take its course.
Pope Francis waved to onlookers from a balcony of Rome's Gemelli Hospital shortly before his discharge on March 23, 2025.Filippo Monteforte/AFP / Getty Images

In an exclusive interview with La Corriere della Sera, Dr. Sergio Alfieri, the lead surgeon overseeing the 88-year-old pontiff’s care, disclosed that Francis’ condition deteriorated so severely that doctors feared he “might not survive the night.”

Admitted to Rome’s Gemelli Hospital on February 14 for bronchitis, the pope’s health took a drastic turn when he developed double pneumonia, requiring oxygen therapy and even a blood transfusion. But the gravest moment came when he suffered a bronchospasm and inhaled vomit, triggering a life-threatening crisis.

READ MORE:

“We were all aware that the situation had worsened even further, and there was a risk that he might not make it,” Alfieri revealed. “We had to choose whether to stop and let him go or to push forward and try everything with all the medications and therapies possible, running the very high risk of damaging other organs.”

The medical team ultimately chose to fight—but only after Francis himself made the final call.

“The Holy Father always decides,” Alfieri said. Through his personal nurse, the pope delivered a firm instruction: “Try everything, don’t give up.”

Even after stabilizing, Francis faced another dire emergency when he choked on regurgitated food, a complication that could have been fatal.

“That was the second truly critical moment,” Alfieri explained. “If not promptly assisted, there’s a risk of sudden death, as well as complications to the lungs, which were already the most compromised organs.”

Yet against the odds, the pope pulled through. Alfieri credited Francis’ sharp mind, strong heart, and the power of global prayers for his recovery.

“I can say that twice the situation was lost, and then it happened like a miracle,” he said.
Throughout his ordeal, Francis remained stoic and alert, never complaining. As he regained strength, his first request was to visit other patients in the hospital, offering them encouragement. He even threw a pizza party for the medical staff as a gesture of gratitude.

For Alfieri, the most moving moment came when the pope—who had been so close to death—walked out of the hospital on March 23, dressed in white, reclaiming his role as the leader of the Catholic Church.

“It was the emotion of seeing the man return to being the Pope,” Alfieri said.

Pope Francis’ survival is being hailed as miraculous, a testament to his resilience, the dedication of his medical team, and the prayers of millions worldwide. His ordeal underscores not only the fragility of life but also the extraordinary will to persevere—even when the odds seem insurmountable.

As the pontiff resumes his duties, his recovery serves as a powerful reminder: Sometimes, the greatest miracles happen when we refuse to give up.
____________

Why King Charles and Queen Camilla Won’t Meet With Pope Francis as Planned


King Charles and Queen Camilla’s upcoming trip to Italy will be missing a significant diplomatic encounter—their planned meeting with Pope Francis. The highly anticipated visit has been postponed due to the pope’s ongoing recovery from severe health complications following his recent 38-day hospitalization for double pneumonia.

A Change in Plans Due to Health Concerns

At 88 years old, Pope Francis has been advised by his medical team to rest and minimize engagements as he continues his recovery. His health struggles, including steroid-induced diabetes, a respiratory crisis, and slight kidney failure, have required careful monitoring despite his steady improvement. As a result, the meeting with King Charles, 76, and Queen Camilla, 77, has been put on hold for the time being.

According to People, the British monarch and his wife have extended their best wishes to the pope and remain hopeful that they will be able to meet him at the Vatican in the near future. It was also revealed last week that Charles personally wrote a letter to Pope Francis during his recovery, expressing their hopes and prayers for his health and for the eventual realization of their visit.

A Missed Milestone in a Special Year

The postponement is especially notable as 2025 marks a Papal Jubilee, a sacred event that takes place every 25 years. The meeting was expected to be a meaningful moment between the British royal family and the leader of the Catholic Church, strengthening ties and reinforcing mutual commitments to global humanitarian efforts.

Despite the delay, there is optimism that the meeting will be rescheduled once Pope Francis has regained sufficient strength. Before his discharge from Rome’s Gemelli Hospital on March 23, the Vatican released the first photo of him since his hospitalization, showing the pope seated in a wheelchair inside the private chapel of the hospital.

While their Italian itinerary will now proceed without the Vatican visit, King Charles and Queen Camilla continue to extend their support and well wishes to Pope Francis, eagerly anticipating the day when their paths will cross in better health.

__________


Pope Francis Continues Recovery, Concelebrates Mass at Santa Marta

Pope Francis is steadily continuing his recovery following his recent hospitalization, with updates from the Holy See Press Office confirming that he remains engaged in treatment, therapy, and spiritual duties at his residence, Casa Santa Marta.

Since his discharge from Rome’s Gemelli Hospital on March 23 after a 38-day stay due to bilateral pneumonia, the 88-year-old pontiff has been undergoing mobility and respiratory-related physiotherapy, including specialized exercises for voice recovery. His doctors, Dr. Sergio Alfieri and Dr. Luigi Carbone, have indicated that the convalescence period is expected to last approximately two months.

Although Pope Francis continues with limited work activities, he is not currently receiving visitors, and no official decisions have been made regarding his upcoming schedule. The Holy See emphasized that his primary focus remains on regaining his strength.

Despite his restricted activities, the Holy Father has continued his spiritual responsibilities by concelebrating Mass within the chapel of Casa Santa Marta. His commitment to prayer and religious service remains unwavering, even as he prioritizes rest and rehabilitation.

Following his hospital discharge, Pope Francis briefly appeared before 3,000 well-wishers from a balcony at Gemelli Hospital and made a short stop at Rome’s Marian Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore before returning to the Vatican.

While the pope’s public engagements remain on hold for now, the Vatican has reassured the faithful that he is making steady progress. The global Catholic community continues to keep Pope Francis in their prayers, eagerly awaiting his full recovery and return to regular papal duties.

________


Pope Francis Continues Recovery, Concelebrates Mass at Santa Marta


Pope Francis is steadily continuing his recovery following his recent hospitalization, with updates from the Holy See Press Office confirming that he remains engaged in treatment, therapy, and spiritual duties at his residence, Casa Santa Marta.
Since his discharge from Rome’s Gemelli Hospital on March 23 after a 38-day stay due to bilateral pneumonia, the 88-year-old pontiff has been undergoing full-time mobility and respiratory-related physiotherapy, including specialized exercises for voice recovery. His doctors, Dr. Sergio Alfieri and Dr. Luigi Carbone, have indicated that the convalescence period is expected to last approximately two months.

The Holy See Press Office confirmed that Pope Francis is following the convalescence plan outlined by his doctors. He continues to receive pharmacological treatment, administered orally, for an extended period. The physicians have advised him to refrain from meetings, whether individual or group, and to remain under 24-hour medical supervision to address any possible emergencies.

A medical team, coordinated by the Directorate of Health and Hygiene of Vatican City, is always present to ensure the Pope’s well-being. As part of his treatment, he continues to receive oxygen therapy under the same conditions as during his hospitalization—high-flow oxygen through nasal cannulas at night, with a gradual reduction of oxygen therapy during the day.

Despite his restricted activities, the Holy Father has continued his spiritual responsibilities by concelebrating Mass within the chapel of Casa Santa Marta. His commitment to prayer and religious service remains unwavering, even as he prioritizes rest and rehabilitation.

Following his hospital discharge, Pope Francis briefly appeared before 3,000 well-wishers from a balcony at Gemelli Hospital and made a short stop at Rome’s Marian Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore before returning to the Vatican.

While the pope’s public engagements remain on hold for now, the Vatican has reassured the faithful that he is making steady progress. The global Catholic community continues to keep Pope Francis in their prayers, eagerly awaiting his full recovery and return to regular papal duties.









Previous Post Next Post